Giving families support in their own home is at the heart of what we do.
Home-Start volunteers help families facing isolation, the effects of post-natal illness, disability or mental health issues, bereavement, multiple births, financial difficulties, or a whole range of other challenges.
After meeting with the family to discuss their specific needs, Home-Start will match the family to a trained and supervised volunteer. The volunteer will visit the family in their own home each week, to provide practical and emotional support.
The help we give each family is unique and depends entirely on their circumstances, requirements and what they want help with.
Ways we can help
- Emotional support for parents
- Direct help for children including establishing routines, encouraging development
- Practical assistance, such as getting to appointments, budgeting, meal planning
- Help to develop links within the community
- Parenting skills training.
- Moral support in dealing with official meetings
- Links to organisations that can help in other ways
I am so much happier and motivated. Home-Start’s patience and understanding was unwavering. But the practical guidance and advice has physically changed my life for the better – and the lives of my children actually.